How to Guide
Optinize has taken behavioral marketing to a higher level. Keep this How-To Guide by your side as it will become your go-to place for best practices and recommendations on how to begin automating your marketing efforts and create outstanding journeys for your contacts.
Step 1: Review Your System Checklist
The first thing you should do is check what tools you have to help you accomplish your goals. You can connect your Optinize account to your CRM system, multiple email service providers and/or SMTP relays, SMS providers and other apps that can help you achieve your goals.
Step 2: Map Your Marketing Groups
The most important thing here is to know who you are targeting. You won't be able to create customized messages until you have identified your target audience.
You can identify your target group by creating micro-level segments of your contacts:
- Demographic groups – target contacts based on age, gender, location, etc.
- Activity groups – target contacts based on email behavior, page views, actions, etc.
After defining your target groups, you should start tracking contact behavior and set your trigger events. For example, if you want to target women who have looked at shoes on your website, you should create a "page viewed" pixel (you can do this easily through your Optinize account) and then place that pixel on your shoe page. This way, our system will be able to update your marketing list each time a new woman looks at shoes on your website.
Step 3: Map Your Journeys
After creating your marketing lists, you should set a goal for each of your targeted groups and plan messages and promotions to achieve your goal for that specific group.
NOTE: Keep in mind that once a journey is created, it remains unchanged – the leads that are on that journey's corresponding marketing list will always experience that journey. The factor that will change is who is on that marketing list. Leads can be transferred from one list to another based on their behavior, and thus be transferred from one journey to another. Lists are dynamic, but journeys are not.
Answer the following questions to help you create an exceptional journey:
- Who am I targeting?
- What stage are they in right now?
- What is my goal?
- What do I want them to do next?
- What messages should I send?
- Which promotions should I offer?
- What channels should I use to achieve my goal?
- What is the timeframe?
- What order should I use for sending messages and promotions?
- How should I respond to my contact's behavior to achieve my goal?
Answering these questions will help you determine your goal and create an effective journey.
Here's an example:
Marketing List: Women who have looked at shoes on your website
Goal: Make a first sale
Marketing List: Women who have purchased shoes will automatically be transferred to a new marketing list for the "Purchased Shoes" journey
Goal: Up-sell and build relationship
Step 4: Write Content
You now have your marketing groups in place. You know your goals and the way you plan to achieve your goal for each of your groups.
Now it's time to write the messages that will be sent to the contacts when they enter the group.
- Select a template for your email/SMS.
- Create content for each email/SMS.
- Create an attention-grabbing subject line for each of your emails.
- Set who your email is from (fill out the name and email address fields).
- Make sure your links are working and that you have a clear Call to Action (ALL of your emails should have a purpose and should direct the recipient to carry out a desired action).
- Make sure that your unsubscribe link works – this is important to ensure the deliverability of your emails.
- TEST before you send! Send a test message to yourself and make sure that everything looks exactly how it should.
Step 5: Design Your Journey
FINALLY, you can piece everything together!
Take your time to build your journeys properly. Make sure you understand the flow of each of your journeys and the connection between your journeys, your marketing lists, and your communication channels.
Remember, you only need to build this system once, so make sure you are building strong foundations that will allow you to focus on optimization rather than on fixing mistakes.
PRO TIP: Go over your journeys as though you were the contact to make sure that you are receiving all messages as planned.
When you are ready, activate your journey and let it run for a while.
Here is an examples you might find usefull:
Step 6: Optimize Your Plan – Perfecting Efficiency
Your funnels are in place and you can now sit back, relax, and watch your leads jump (or get transferred) from journey to journey based on their actions.
Now you can really focus on perfecting your efforts and getting the most out of this platform.
Optimization happens in 2 ways. You can:
- Build new journeys based on more events. The more events you define, the more personal you get.
- Optimize current journeys. Use Optinize's reporting system to perfect your funnels. Optimize your content, links, promotions, communication channel, subject line, from name, and the system you are using.
You want to make the most of each of your journeys. We're here to help. Please be in touch for personalized assistance on optimizing your unique customer journey.